Re: royalty

From: Ted Davis (tdavis@messiah.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 20 2003 - 10:20:26 EDT

    Bob mentioned:

    "The DaVinci Code" by Dan
    Brown, which deals with Mary Magdalene and Jesus, the Holy Grail, and a lot
    of other history.

    I read it. It's certainly original and clever, and as far as I can tell
    draws on a lot of genuine history. However, please be aware that the
    alleged involvement of Robert Boyle and Isaac Newton with the "Priory of
    Sion" is pure fiction.

    For Newton, I have grave doubts about it. My only hesitation about entirely
    denying this is that I don't know the Newton manuscripts as well as I do
    those of Boyle. For Boyle, I can assure you that this is not only pure
    fiction, but ridiculous fiction. Boyle was a deeply pious Christian (no
    hypocrisy here or secret adherence to a heterodox theology) who regarded
    Jesus as the second person of the Trinity. And, although he granted that
    marriage was a divine institution, he saw so many rotten marriages all
    around him (esp involving his sisters Mary and Katherine, who were his
    closest friends), that he advised people to remain chaste (as he did). It's
    simply incredible, that Boyle would believe that Jesus married Magdalene.

    If anyone knows the address of the author of this novel, incidentally, I'll
    be happy to let him in on this. The author says that one of his main
    interests is religion and science; his treatment of it in this book will not
    exactly advance public understanding.

    ted