Re: Fragility and tendentiousness

From: Steve Petermann (steve@spetermann.org)
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 09:54:47 EDT

    Dave wrote:
    > I am guessing that the major reason why "intelligentsia" reject
    > Christianity is that it is not PC.

    Well lets look at some anecdotal data. I visit various churches in the
    Dallas area. Almost without fail all those churches(Methodist,
    Presbyterian, Catholic, etc.) have what they call "seekers groups." These
    people are among what I all the intelligentsia, educated, thoughtful,
    critically thinking individuals. They are not interested in being PC. They
    are interested in a well reasoned faith. They are reading Borg, Spong,
    Barbour, Peacocke, etc. Why would they do that if they aren't questioning?

    > Need I remind you that
    > Muslim prayers were learned and practiced in public schools, as were
    > Hindu prayers and meditations earlier. But there is supposed to be no
    > Christian prayers at any campus doings.

    I agree with you that this compartmentalization of the secular and religious
    is problematic for society. I just don't know how it can be fixed. What do
    you mean by campus doings? How would you handle the prayers? Rotate between
    Christian, Muslim, Hindu, etc. religious prayers or meditations?

    Steve Petermann