Re: Fragility and tendentiousness

From: Steve Petermann (steve@spetermann.org)
Date: Thu Sep 18 2003 - 17:43:40 EDT

    > I think the simple answer is that you cannot look at
    > salvation as a mechanistic sort of thing that you can
    > describe like physics.

    This I agree with. However, I'm not sure the bulk of Christendom would agree
    with you. Mechanisms are all about constraints. Obviously statements like
    "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me"
    seem pretty mechanistic. Even your "second person of the trinity" sounds
    pretty science like(the second law of thermodynamics). Then, of course,
    there are all the different salvation "formulas" the get bandied around. And
    what about the creeds?

    I know, I know it is possible to contest all my objects with some
    theological nuance. The bottom line in the point I was trying to make is
    that Christianity is becoming less and less compelling for a many people.
    Why is that? Although I'm not member, I see a virtual revolving door of the
    newly disillusioned going through the local Unitarian Universalist church.
    My questions may sound like scholasticism but that's because the premises
    lead to a plethora of follow up questions. And they are, by the way, not
    irrelevant to the thinking persons I know. The scholastics may have been
    able to "reason" through each question but in the final analysis was
    anything compelling about their system? Did they convince by their
    gymnastics of logic? Christianity may not be that fragile as a whole now,
    but what about 100, 500 years from now. The populace is becoming more and
    more educated and critically thinking. The scientific worldview is sweeping
    the globe. All it will take is something new to come along that speaks to
    their needs but is less intellectually objectionable and there may be a mass
    exodus.

    Steve Petermann