Re: RFEP and the Heart of Christianity

From: sheila-mcginty@geotec.net
Date: Thu Sep 18 2003 - 13:16:47 EDT

    As clear as this may appear to you, I have forgotten what RFEP means. I would
    like to second the request for initials plus words at least once in each
    posting. I can only imagine how much clearer this email would be. Thanks!

    Sheila

    Quoting richard@biblewheel.com:

    > Good morning Howard,
    >
    > Thank you for you detailed response. Its amazing how simply stated
    > definitions can clear things up. The RFEP as stated by you now appears
    > much
    > less hostile to traditional Christian understanding of God and the
    > World
    > than what I had picked up reading the posts on this list.
    >
    > So the bottom line appears to be that the RFEP is really just a
    > formalization, refinement, and extension of the "fundamental
    > presupposition
    > of the historical natural sciences" as you put it. Apparently I can (in
    > principle) simultaneously assert the RFEP and the Virgin Conception,
    > Incarnation, Resurrection, etc. Do you know many people that actually
    > maintain this *seemingly* strained position? I get the impression that
    > Douglas is working with it.
    >
    > Now I should be able to contribute a slightly more informed view on how
    > this
    > idea impacts my understanding of "Life, the Universe and Everything"
    > borrow a title).
    >
    > The first thing that raises an eyebrow is that it elevates the
    > *methodological* principle of natural sciences to the status of a
    > fundamental *ontological* principle. I personally think this is a big
    > mistake that originates in the intuition that God is absent in the
    > Universe - Science goes on just fine without God. But in my Life and
    > Universe, God is active in Everything. On the one hand, He maintains
    > the
    > essentially deterministic world that follows natural laws, on the other
    > hand
    > He is entirely free to act within that world. The fact that Science
    > doesn't
    > detect Him is to be *expected* because Science is not able to detect
    > free
    > Agents who may or may not show up at the lab to mechanically repeat
    > their
    > behavior every time a scientist demands it of them. The scientific net
    > catches only those things that can't help but repeat themselves.
    >
    > Our truly scientific ideas of how the universe works are confined to an
    > extremely small subset of phenomena that are consistently repeatable.
    > Individual actions by free Agents can not be predicted or regularly
    > detected
    > by Science, and so do not exist in a scientific explanation of reality.
    > But
    > God is totally free to part the clouds and let the sun shine down at
    > the
    > moment I pray for a sign. What lab is going to detect this "violation
    > of
    > natural law?" Even if some meteorologist detects it and notices that it
    > *apparently* violated known laws given the prevailing conditions, all
    > that
    > will happen is that it will be tossed in the already bursting bin
    > labeled
> [...]

    Sheila McGinty Wilson
    sheila-mcginty@geotec.net

    This mail sent through OnRAMP/GeoTEC Webmail: webmail.geotec.net