RE: Post-Empiricism Science: A little surprised

From: Alexanian, Moorad (alexanian@uncw.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 18 2003 - 10:52:55 EDT

    One has a better example and that is Dmitriy Mendeleev who proposed the periodic table in 1869 prior to the acceptance of atomism. In fact, Ludwig Boltzmann committed suicide in 1906, not because of non-acceptance of his kinetic theory and entropy but because scientists rejected atomism. Clearly, the periodic table gave rise to further studies and substantiated the theory of matter. The calendar just summarizes the obvious observation of periodicity in planetary motion. One is not against good observations but foremost in science is predication over explanation.

    Moorad