Re: Post-Empiricism Science: A little surprised

From: gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 17 2003 - 19:11:05 EDT

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, allenroy wrote:

    > There are two problems here. 1. The supposed "empirical data" regarding the
    > age of the earth is not empirical at all, but interpretation of data based upon
    > a paradigm that expects an old age for the earth. 2. That "massive" amount of
    > data regarding the age of the earth is only relevant within the paradigm that
    > interprets the data (and which calls it empirical). It is irrelevant how much
    > interpreted data there is within one paradigm when that interpretation is
    > irrelevant in another paradigm.

    The history of science is replete with examples of unexpected results
    overturning previous theories.

    > A Creationary paradigm is based upon a revealed history and is accepted by faith
    > in the truthfulness of God. His word, though written by flawed humans and using
    > finite human language, tells us what we need to know. A Creationary paradigm
    > also starts with a philosophical statement which supplies the presuppositions
    > needed to build a paradigm--1) In the beginning God created the universe; 2) God
    > created by fiat the biosphere on this planet; 3) There has been only some
    > 6000+/- years since the creation of the biosphere; 4) A global cataclysm
    > involving the complete lithosphere reworked the entire surface of the globe some
    > 4000 years ago.

    You are using a very narrow view of what it means to believe in creation.
    In fact, prior to 1961, even among believers in a young earth (except for
    the Seventh Day Adventists) very few accepted your point #4 (flood
    geology) since the Genesis account indicates only the drowning of men and
    air-breathing land animals.

    Gordon Brown
    Department of Mathematics
    University of Colorado