Re: Minimal Supernaturalism

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 19:16:59 EDT

    Hi Steve,

    I'm sure you would agree that among the realities of life for the Christian
    is the recognition of the supernatural and of its ability to infiltrate and
    influence the natural. The words of the Apostle Paul in Eph.6:10-17,
    particularly, focus our attention on this matter and its potential
    implications. Too often as scientists we completely overlook this component
    of the creation - content to believe, apparently, that we are somehow immune
    to influence from this quarter. I am therefore glad you have raised this
    question for general discussion.

    One of your comments I find particularly interesting, viz "It
    (supernaturalism) also presents a perceived empirical problem because it
    does not seem that we can capture miraculous events empirically." It has
    been my experience over many years that the intelligentsia in general have
    little taste for empirical evidence of the supernatural - and this, in
    itself, speaks volumes of the human condition, and raises particular
    problems for those seeking to bring forward such evidence. As you may know,
    I have a website dedicated to this endeavour. A recently added page reveals
    odds of 150 billion to 1 against the numero-geometrical features uniting the
    Creator (Jesus Christ) with the related verses Genesis 1:1 and John 1:1
    being other than divinely inspired. You may find these details at
    http://homepage.virgin.net/tgvernon.jenkins/Blueprint_1.htm.

    In addition, Richard (McGough) has, over recent weeks, provided the List
    with compelling empirical evidence of supernatural design that is completely
    independent of my own. So let's be clear about this: miraculous events -
    based on empirical evidence - are already available, and awaiting close
    inspection.

    Sincerely,

    Vernon