Re: My daughter is a YEC

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@chartermi.net)
Date: Sat Sep 13 2003 - 15:21:23 EDT

    Steve Peterman asked:

    > But what to you mean by <evaluate the relative merits>? Do you mean their
    > scientific or truth merits or rather what is extrapolated from those
    > positions say by their psychological or societal merits, or their systematic
    > elegance?

    Fair question.

    I am thinking primarily of their epistemic merits -- the likelihood of their
    being true. However, given the difficulty of establishing absolute truth, I
    would be content to go for "their ability to help me in my quest to make
    sense of my existence as a human being, taking fully into account what I
    know by human experience generally, including the contribution of the
    empirical sciences."

    Howard Van Till