Re: Tit for Tat?

From: Dr. Blake Nelson (bnelson301@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 12:00:41 EDT

    As you note at the end, IIRC, Dawkins has made a
    statement of being in favor of studying religious
    literature qua literature, religion qua anthropology,
    etc. I don't think he went as far as approving of
    comparative religion, qua religion, but I am not an
    exhaustive reader of Dawkins' stuff.

    Dawkins has, however, made it quite clear that (he
    believes -- although I don't think he is quite as
    humble about caveating his belief) theology is not and
    should not be an academic discipline, in addition to
    taking great personal joy (Schadenfreude?), inter
    alia, at the closing of a Catholic seminary in
    Ireland, which he made part of one of his Guardian
    pieces. So, I suspect that if he "approves" of
    comparative religion it would be in purely an
    anthropological, literary, or similar context.

    Of course, his comments must be understood in context
    of the state of affairs in the UK where theology can
    be and is taught at "state" universities. As far as I
    am aware, no state university (for good reason) in the
    US offers theology.