Re: Van Till's Ultimate Gap

From: Steve Petermann (steve@spetermann.org)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 12:27:23 EDT

    Hi Josh,

    The "gaps" arguments are based, I believe, on a presumption of
    intrinsicality. That is that there are properties/laws/forces that are
    intrinsic to the cosmos and the entities in it. But can this presumption be
    logically supported? To illustrate, imagine a juggler who paints herself
    blue and stands in front of a blue screen for a TV performance. To the
    viewing audience the juggler is invisible and the balls seem to act on their
    own. Now a scientist in the audience might take some measurements, create a
    theory that seems to accurately describe the movement of the balls.
    Naturally the scientist will think the balls have intrinsic causal
    properties. But in this case it is a false presumption. In fact the
    juggler, if she wanted to, could even vary her throws a little from time to
    time and the scientist would just view them as anomalies where, in fact,
    over a long period of time the actual pattern could have changed
    significantly. The gaps arguments suggest that God is a spectator who jumps
    into the fray from time to time. Elements in Christianity, process
    theology, and other religions offer a different view that God is a blue
    screen juggler constantly creating and evolving meaning and purpose in the
    cosmos.

    Best Regards,
    Steve Petermann