Re: My daughter is a YEC

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 12:14:53 EDT

    Thanks for the response Darryl. Let me present another viewpoint which somewhat
    bypasses this.

    I heard John MacArthur present this viewpoint on the radio.

    Science is fine for telling us the present. However, it cannot validly
    extrapolate to the past and ignore God's Word. God created the Universe for man.
    It says so in the Bible. If He he did so, why waste 15 billion years when it is
    just as easy for Him to bring it into existence in 6 days as the Bible
    proclaims? That does not dispute what science sees in an "apparent" history.

    There is obviously no way to discriminate between these two outlooks. It is only
    a philosophy which says that it must be the way that it appears to be because
    God would not deceive in the physical universe. By the same token, one can claim
    that God does not deceive in the Bible.

    So I contend that a Christian non-scientist can well accept a literal Bible over
    the thoughts of a scientist. (I do not mean following the ICR!) If such opinions
    were reserved to a church Bible study it would be fine. It is just the Kooks who
    have to run around and make believe they have a scientific explanation of things
    that make life miserable.

    One of the more contentious issues is, Of course, evolution. It is the widely
    publicized outlook that this is a "random" process that makes for rebellion
    against scientific extrapolation to the past. If we spent more time attacking
    Dawkins and the ilk we might look more credible to the non-scientific Christian.

    Just an opinion.

    Walt

    --
    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>