Re: Student perceptions re evolution

From: Keith Miller (kbmill@ksu.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 16:57:53 EDT

    In a previous post, I cited Nisbet as a well-respected geologist who reveals
    his faith in his scientific writing. To illustrate, below is a short quote
    from Nisbet in his book "The Young Earth."

    " Whether there is purpose to life is not a matter for natural sciences;
    Kant's third antinomy shows that natural science can never prove or disprove
    the existence of God. I believe, other do not: faith is the only proof
    possible. A believer accepts in predestination a duality reminiscent of the
    dualities of modern physics: from the point of view of the scientific
    observer, the history of life is chance in time; from the point of view of
    the theologian the creator is outside of time, created time, and is aware of
    chance. The two views are not in conflict. ... Crick (1981) doubts the
    existence of a creator; others adopt the Pelagian or British heresy, that
    life can through its own efforts attain immortality; in contrast, the
    orthodox believer follows Augustine (398) in his essentially modern views,
    accepting time as a created dimension in which life develops."

    E.G. Nisbet, 1987, The Young Earth: Allen & Unwin, p. 341.

    Keith

    --

    Dr. Keith B. Miller Department of Geology Thompson Hall 108 Kansas State University Manhattan, KS 66506-3201 ph: (785) 532-2250 webpage: http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~kbmill/index.html