Re: Student perceptions re evolution

From: Sarah Berel-Harrop (sec@hal-pc.org)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 13:41:16 EDT

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:10:23 -0600
      John W Burgeson <jwburgeson@juno.com> wrote:
    >Dave wrote: "Anyone with a modicum of integrity
    >recognizes that
    >methodological naturalism is not metaphysical naturalism,
    >but Phil
    >continues to propagate his lie."
    >
    >I think this is a claim which cannot hold up. I know Phil
    >Johnson, and
    >while I disagree with him on this particular issue, I
    >believe that he
    >sincerely holds it with integrity, and, therefore, it
    >may, indeed, be
    >incorrect, but all incorrections are not "lies." (I think
    >I may have just
    >coined a word there).

    Yes, it's totally fruitless to infer intent. It is an
    argument, not necessarily a lie.

    However, when someone consistently writes material that
    is grossly incorrect, fairly consistently misquotes
    and misrepresents the work of others to make his point,
    quotes other peoples' positions in a two-faced manner,
    equivocates in a two-faced manner, and continues to do
    so even when corrected, the person may be considered an
    unreliable source of information. Unfortunately a one-
    liner requires a lengthy rebuttal in many cases.

    The extreme irony of doing it in the name of "Truth",
    well ... this is where words fail me