Re: Millstones & student perceptions re evolution

From: Loren Haarsma (lhaarsma@calvin.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 09:54:11 EDT

    When, typically out of sincere interest and curiousity, my friends and
    relatives -- or parents of prospective students -- ask me what I teach
    about age of the earth and evolution, I usually start by saying, "I speak
    the truth in love." [Eph. 4:15] That usually sets a good tone for the
    conversation that follows.

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Howard J. Van Till wrote:

    > >> 6 "... but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to
    > > stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around
    > > his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea."
    >
    > Several years ago a colleague of mine warned me that if I saw a student
    > walking around the Science Building with a millstone, I had better keep my
    > distance.
    > Why? My colleague had asked his students read a book on science and religion
    > and submit a brief report on it. Several chose my book, The Fourth Day: What
    > the Bible and the Heavens are telling us about the Creation. One student who
    > read The Fourth Day concluded her report with this verse, applied to the
    > author.

    As you already know, when we speak the truth in love, there will still be
    those who misinterpret or take offense at what we say. Still, it's better
    than staying silent or assenting to false teachings.

    Loren Haarsma