Re: Fact and theory of evolution

From: Allen (allenroy@peoplepc.com)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 00:47:59 EDT

    > I do not know if it is exactly what Steve Gould was
    > thinking of, but my graduate advisor distinguished
    > between the fact of evolution as the observed evidence
    > of change in organisms over time (whether the changes
    > observed in human history

    Most YECs would agree with this definition of the "fact
    of evolution": that is, genetic variation in organisms
    as observed in human history

    > or in the geologic record)

    Most YECs would not agree that the fossil record
    illustrates the "fact of Evolution", but rather,
    interpretation of the fossil record over earth history
    within Naturalism is called the "fact of Evolution."
    YECs believe that the fossil record is better
    interpreted as the record of death and destruction
    during a global cataclysm. This is where the rub is
    between evolutionism and creationism -- how to
    interpret the fossil record?

    > and the theory of evolution as the various
    explanations
    > proposed to account for these changes.

    Most YECs would agree with this last statement.

    PeoplePC: It's for people. And it's just smart.
    http://www.peoplepc.com