Re: Student perceptions re evolution

From: Jay Willingham (jaywillingham@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 14:13:05 EDT

    I stand corrected regarding the identity of theory and fact. However in his
    definition quoted below, he did say evolution was a fact as well as a
    theory.

    Before I contest that issue, I should wait for a consensus definition of
    "evolution" from the group.

    Gould quote:

    "Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are
    different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts
    are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and
    interpret facts. Facts do not go away when scientists debate rival theories
    to explain them."

    Jay