Re: Student perceptions re evolution

From: Jay Willingham (jaywillingham@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 16:11:28 EDT

    I agree that over the past say 100 years, education has become less than
    laudable in the USA across the board. Grading have been dropped (until
    recently Harvard was a good example of this). And this was all in the south
    (if Duke still qualifies for South)A professor I had in a senior English
    class tell me my paper was the best one he had received but it would have
    only gotten a "C" at his alma mater in England.

    How about my experience with 12 years of grade school in public and private
    schools and 4 years of pre-med including 4th year Vertebrate Developmental
    Anatomy, a laboratory classification and dissection senior Biology course on
    evolution.

    The Bible was often taught as pure parable or myth and evolution as the
    factual source of life and all taxa.

    Most recently, my wife and I home schooled two boys and had to review a lot
    of textbooks.

    Sadly, one reason that evolution might have lately be avoided is the school
    prayer/separation of church/state "junk" jurisprudence the courts have
    vomited out (how's that for ad hominum).

    How can you avoid teaching the two sides of the argument if you cannot even
    mention the Biblical side of the debate without making someone angry that
    you for even mentioned Judeo-Christianity?

    Jay