Re: Student perceptions re evolution

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 15:05:02 EDT

    Jay's substitution of "so many" for "so often" does not make such a sweeping
    indictment any less palatable, and Howard's challenge for empirical evidence
    still stands.

    One of the major difficulties that stand in the way of carrying on a serious
    discussion and debate over the merits of the evolutionary paradigm is that
    it has become so stuck in the culture wars. One gets bombarded with
    sweeping accusations and ad hominem characterizations that add nothing
    positive to the discussion and serve only to raise hackles.

    From my own experience of trying to teach the main features of evolution to
    students who have come armed and armored, I know how frustrating such an
    experience is, and it must be even more so for biology teachers in public
    schools, who often have to walk on eggshells with school board members,
    local pastors and parents looking over their shoulders. What I learned from
    the seniors in my college seminar is that 80% were not exposed to evolution
    in their high school biology or science classes, mainly because "the teacher
    skipped that chapter." Why, is not hard to guess. They are as much
    casualties in the culture wars as their students who are kept in ignorance.