Re: Sin?

From: RFaussette@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 20:56:06 EDT

    In a message dated 8/13/03 11:33:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
    cwcarrig@umich.edu writes:

    > I think the answer to this predicament is obvious when the verse you
    > mentioned from chapter 18 is placed in context; I'll paraphrase this
    > chapter here:
    >
    > Don't have sex with your sister.
    > Don't have sex with your mother.
    > Don't have sex with your father's wife.
    > Don't have sex with your Aunt.
    > Don't have sex with both a mother and her daughter.
    > Don't have sex with animals.
    > Don't have sex with another man.
    >
    > Were all of these verses here "superceded long ago"? There are no verses
    > here about earrings or make-up or tatoos or eating pork. What is there
    > about this passage of scripture that should make us think we can pick out
    > sex with another man as morally allowable, but not sex with an animal or a
    > one's sibling/family member?
    >
    > One final note: Merriam-Webster online (www.m-w.com) does not appear to
    > regard "detestable" and "taboo" as synonyms.

    All of the prohibitions concerning sex are in one place in Leviticus and the
    reason is given for maintaining them - to prevent the people from being
    "spewed out of the land." But if you discard Leviticus as someone suggested you'd
    have to discard Ezra too.

    “The land which you are entering and will possess is a polluted land,
    polluted by the foreign population with their abominable practices, which have made
    it unclean from end to end. Therefore do not give your daughters in marriage to
    their sons, and do not marry your sons to their daughters, and never seek
    their welfare or prosperity. Thus you will be strong and enjoy the good things of
    the land, and pass it on to your children as an everlasting possession.” Ezra
    9:11-13

    The opposite of being spewed out of the land is holding it in permanent
    possession.

    You'd also have to get rid of Nehemiah...

    rich