Re: Sin?

From: John W Burgeson (jwburgeson@juno.com)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 11:14:53 EDT

    George wrote: "I think it's plausible that Paul (& his contemporaries)
    did not have anything
    like our modern understanding of sexual orientation."

    Plausible? I'd say "highly improbable." Unless one holds that Paul, when
    penning letters that later became scripture, was supernaturally informed
    of all relevant knowledge. Which position, I understand, some folks do
    hold.

    "But it seems very unlikely that he wasn't aware that homosexual activity
    sometimes took place outside settings of pagan ritual. "

    Robert commented on this, and I can add little beyond my remarks of
    yesterday. Maybe we could agree upon the wording "I think it's plausible
    that Paul MIGHT have been aware that homosexual activity sometimes took
    place outside settings of pagan ritual. " I could buy that much. "Aware
    of" does not mean one thinks of it when penning a letter such as Romans,
    of course.

    "& was there any significant lesbian pagan ritual?"

    I am not aware of any, but that's not my area of expertise. <G>

    On 8/7 you wrote: "I just finished a 5 page essay for preachers for this
    coming Sunday,
    tied to lectionary texts & the issues raised at the Episcopal convention,
    for an
    internet sermon resource. "

    Can you share this with me? I am always interested in what you have to
    say.

    I appreciate your off line reply on "suffering."

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    www.burgy.50megs.com

    Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!