Re: Response to Wally Hicks post made June 12th

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 07:25:46 EDT

    So late in responding to this.

    The subject has been "beat to death" so I'll just add one last thought.

    John W Burgeson wrote:

    snip."

    > Wally continues: "If wrong, you have done immense harm. You have openly
    > advocated doing sinful
    > acts and basically encouraged it by your statements. "
    >
    > I understand this argument. It is a strong one. I must measure it, of
    > course, against the harm I have done if I take position 1 and I am wrong.
    > Either way I must run the risk of doing harm. But whether (or not) it is
    > "immense harm" is problematical. I am only one voice. Any harm I may do
    > is general in nature, spread among many. If I take position 1, I do
    > direct harm to identified people. I encourage homophobia, violence
    > against gays and lesbians, intolerance. I cannot do this..

    Oh come on, Burgy!!

    I envision that most here seem to classify homosexual behaviour and
    extramarital sex in the same category insofar as "sin" is concerned. Your
    exaggeration is totally unwarranted. In the church I attend, gay, lesbian and
    unmarried couples would not be allowed to join the church until the behaviour
    was changed. That's all, Burgy.

    If you know people who do the abovething that you mention, then they sin
    worse than the issue we are discussing and you should take _them_ to task --
    rather than going to opposite extreme of condoning on your web site what
    others call sin.

    Walt

    --
    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>