Clive Staples Lewis

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 21:49:45 EDT

    One thing that happened at the General Convention of the Episcopal Church
    did not catch the attention of the popular press, but might interest ASA
    members who admire C. S. Lewis. A few weeks ago, during a discussion on
    this list that broached the subject of the propriety of the invocation of
    saints, I mentioned that the liturgical calendars of the Episcopal and other
    Anglican churches set aside days of commemoration not to invoke but to honor
    those who have gone before and by their example of Christian witness may be
    beacons of inspiration to the rest of us. These men and women represent
    every age of Christendom, from the apostles and early fathers of the Church,
    to medieval Christians, to the giants of the Reformation, to figures of our
    own day. Mary Magdelene, the Venerable Bede, Thomas Aquinas, Teresa of
    Avila, Martin Luther, John and Charles Wesley, the Anglican Martyrs of
    Uganda, and Dietrich Bonhoeffer are among the many who have received a day
    of commemoration. They may be chosen for intellectual as well as spiritual
    gifts, for piety as well as witness in suffering or death.

    Those honored in Anglican calendars have not undergone the arduous process
    of identification followed in the Roman Catholic Church. No miracles or
    other extraordinary signs are required. In the Episcopal Church the
    Standing Commission on Liturgy and Music receives recommendations, and at
    General Convention recommends changes or additions to the calendar. The
    latter, if accepted, receive a period of trial usage in worship, and they
    eventually may be admitted to the calendar with the sort of long-term
    approbations given others. A prayer is composed thanking God for the life
    and service of the person, and appropriate passages of Holy Scripture are
    assigned for usage if the person is remembered in formal worship.

    This General Convention, approval was given for trial use of a day
    commemorating the life, gifts and Christian witness of C. S. Lewis.
    November 22 was chosen for this "Apologist and Spiritual Writer" who died in
    1963. The following scriptures were designated: for the Psalm 139:1-9 (BCP
    version); for the Lesson 1 Peter 1:3-9; and for the Gospel John 16:7-15.
    And here, in contemporary form, is the prayer:

    O God of searing truth and surpassing beauty,
    we give you thanks for Clive Staples Lewis
    whose sanctified imagination lights fires of faith
    in young and old alike;
    Surprise us also with your joy
    and draw us into that new and abundant life
    which is ours in Christ Jesus, who lives and reigns
    with you and the Holy Spirit, one God,
    now and forever. Amen.

    I discovered and read Lewis' apologetic works, as well as his science
    fiction writings, while a student at Sewanee, and later came to appreciate
    his considerable gifts as a scholar of English literature. Recently I've
    become aware just how much Lewis' works are admired by evangelical as well
    as catholic Christians. All of us who have made our own acts of submission
    to God's holy will can deeply resonate with his remarkable witness to his
    own commitment to Christ. Surely that most of all accounts for his
    universal appeal. I am glad that my Church has chosen to honor that
    commitment in its practice of common prayer.

    Grace and peace,
    Bob Schneider