Re: Interesting e-mail

From: RFaussette@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 18:12:11 EDT

    michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk writes:

    > Not relevant at all. If we want to read stuff like this we know where to
    > look. Am I mistaken, but I thought this was a science and religion list and not
    > gays and fast breeders of the non-nuclear type
    >
    > Michael

    The post was somewhat political, but points to a great conflict coming to a
    head in civilization. The prime minister of Australia just spoke out against
    homosexual marriages and he used the term "survival of the species", so this is
    an international issue for Christians. The sociobiological understanding of
    the Bible is science. It's more relevant than things that have happened and
    will never happen again (origins) because it sheds light on appropriate human
    behavior, all human behavior, past present and future. The battle for the life
    blood and survival of this country and Christian populations is going on now in
    front of our eyes. A Christian denomination is getting ready to split in
    pieces over this issue right now. RELEVANT
    No one on this list would or perhaps could comment on my review of Darwin's
    Cathedral which covers the modern history of scientists studying religion.
    David Sloan Wilson, the author did though. Kevin MacDonald, the author of a
    trilogy on Judaism did too. I wish I could be sure that the people on the list
    understood the issues in the work of the evolutionary biologist (Wilson) and
    evolutionary psychologist (KMac), but from the discussions, I don't see it.
    So, you're not alone, I also thought this was a science and religion list,
    but I don't complain, I'm just patient.
    I thank the moderator for letting that post through.
    I watched Bill O'reilly interview an Anglican rector about the vote over the
    gay bishop. O'reilly asked him about scripture. The rector said the church
    was guided by the holy spirit and the community. I didn't realize that. O'reilly
    also expressed amazement at the brushoff scripture got. That doesn't seem
    like Christianity. It's more like spiritual anarchy.
    Isn't science a tool for addressing human concerns? What human concern are we
    addressing when we argue over how God created the world while calling real
    human conflicts and threats to our traditional religious values irrelevant?

    rich faussette