RE: loose ends

From: Glenn Morton (glennmorton@entouch.net)
Date: Sun Aug 03 2003 - 15:47:03 EDT

    Hi George, I include a note to Burgy at the bottom.

    After my mention of the sieve of Eratosthenes he writes:

    > Don't need to - I learned about it from Gamow's _One, Two,
    >Three ... Infinity_
    >when I was about 14. It isn't a prime-generating formula but a device for
    >systematically checking to see if numbers are prime. By a
    >proposed prime-generating
    >formula I mean something like
    > f(n) = n^2 - n + 41
    >which gives primes for n = 1, 2, ... 40 but for n = 41 gives a
    >perfect square.

    Ok, there isn't such a simple formula but why does a simple formula mean
    anything? There is a prescription for how to iteratively catch the primes
    and another but simpler formula for catching the numbers in Fibonacci. I
    don't see what 'simple' has to do with it.

    To Burgy, who wants to debate with me, You got the right spirit. It is the
    debate which is fun.