RE: appearance of age and the goodness of God

From: Freeman, Louise Margaret (lfreeman@mbc.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2003 - 14:16:37 EST

    >===== Original Message From igevolution@earthlink.net =====
    >Therefore, if God did create with an appearance of age, that action is not
    >deceptive or wrong, as it is an action of the perfectly righteous God. Even
    >if it is deceptive, that deception is not wrong; it is righteous.
    >
    > What are your thoughts?
    I have no argument with God as an all-righteous Creator. The idea of him as a
    "righteous deciver" is a bit harder for me to accept, but no more so than
    other "negative" (from my point of view)aspects of His creation: like Him
    giving us earthquakes, cancer, and the AIDS virus along with the rainbow,
    flowers and cute little bunny rabbits. T can trust there is a reason for the
    first as well as the second, even though I may not understand or like it.

    The "apparent age" arguement came up in my church recently as well. My
    response, which I acknowledge is overly simplistic, is that if we can have a
    world with "apparent age," we can have organisms that have "apparently"
    evolved by natural selection. Why not then just acknowledge that scientists
    like to study "apparent" processes and learn about what "appears" to be the
    truth by observing the natural world, formulating hypothesis that "apparently"
    explain these observations and collecting data that "apparently" support or
    refute these hypotheses?

    I guess a die-hard YEC would say these scientists are chasing phantoms, since
    the "truth" about creation can only be found in scripture. Maybe that's a
    valid explanation, but it isn't science, if we resctrict science to the study
    of the observable (i.e. the study of the apparent.)