Re: YEC and interpretations (was: Re: asa-digest V1 #3214)

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 12:44:28 EST

    allenroy wrote:

> [...]
    > However, most YECs will argue that it modifing Ontological Naturalism
    > inot Methodological Naturlaism doesn't go far enough and besides that,
    > it is completely unnecessary to use any form of Naturalism. All the
    > necessary assumptions requried to conduct the scientific method are
    > found within Creationism.
    >
    > >There is no "literal interpretation" of the Bible which would be immune
    > >from human fallibility. I believe we have to take the (original)
    > >biblical text "literally", in the sense of respecting the way the divine
    > >Author led the human authors to formulate and later copyists to transmit
    > >it: we must not change any of it. But we cannot evade interpreting it -
    > >any reading of it automatically is an interpretation, which has to be
    > >evaluated. So I would not discuss whether Gen.1-11 has to be taken
    > >"literally" or not. The question is how these words are meant to be
    > >interpreted. And this cannot be other than "theory-laden", just as with
    > >scientific interpretations. There is no priority of the interpretations
    > >of one type of data (biblical text) over those of another type of data
    > >(creation). There only is priority of God's data (in the Bible and in
    > >creation) over its interpretation (in both domains).
    > >
    > In the discussion on "literal" inerpretation of the Bible, many YECs
    > find that the term "literal" has been interpreted by critics and skeptic
    > to mean that every single word of the Bible is to be taken absolutly
    > literal. This is not how most YECs use the term "literal." (but I'm
    > sure you can find some who do.) Because the inaccurate definition used
    > by the critics is so pervasive in society now, many YECs are now
    > beginning to use the term "straight forward reading" rather than
    > "literal reading," to describe the common sense method they use to read
    > the Bible. Just as we all have learned to communicate, read and write
    > using an assortmen of obvious literary methods, the same approach is
    > applied to the Bible. It is recognized that the Bible is written in
    > obvious literary structures such as prose, poety, prophetic symbolisms,
    > metaphores, idoms, etc. It doesn't take a rocket scientist or
    > theologian with advanced degrees to get the obvious messages from the Bible.
    >
    > I have found that when reading Genesis 1:11 nearly everyone agrees that
    > if it is read in a straight forward manner then the interpretation of
    > the texts would likely be very similar to the typical YEC
    > interpretation. However, when faced with the interpretation of natural
    > world through Ontological or Methodological Naturalism which simply does
    > not fit the straight forward interpretation of Genesis, that one must
    > make some difficult choices. Can one "intellectually" throw out the
    > "Science" of Methodological Naturalism? Does one have to make "Faith"
    > decision and shut your eyes to 'science?' I believe that there is
    > another option, do you science within the philosophical foundation of
    > Creationism rather than any form of Naturalism.

            1) Please realize that many of us who believe that evolution & Christianity are
    compatible think that we have the guidance of the Holy Spirit in our reading of
    Scripture. So "we have supernatural help" is not very helpful as far as discussion of
    this issue among Christians is concerned. The criterion for discerning the spirits in I
    John 4:3 is whether or not one "confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh," not
    how old one thinks the earth is.

            2) You say, "YECs typically start with the stated Biblical points of a
    creation of the Biosphere within a week of 7 planet rotations some 6000 +/- years ago
    and a global cataclysm (typically called Creationism). The typical Evolutionist starts
    with Ontological Naturalism (or its heir Methodological Naturalism)." This is merely to
    say that YECs start out by insisting upon one particular interpretation of Genesis while
    those who are open to the possibility of evolution don't.
            & your statement confuses things by suggesting that ontological naturalism is
    the heir of methodological naturalism. MN is simply the way scientists, whatever their
    religious or a-religious beliefs may be, work - except for a few when they deal with
    origins. As far as the historical origins of modern science is concerned, ON is an (not
    "the") heir of MN - & I would say an illegitimate heir.

            3) You say, "I have found that when reading Genesis 1:11 nearly everyone agrees
    that if it is read in a straight forward manner then the interpretation of the texts
    would likely be very similar to the typical YEC interpretation." I.e., if we agree to
    interpret Gen.1-11 "in a straighforward manner" then that's how we'll understand. This
    is simply a tautology & proves nothing.

                                                    Shalom,
                                                    George

    George L. Murphy