Re: test questions-old topic

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2003 - 21:33:29 EST

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 21:05:50 -0600 Bill Payne <bpayne15@juno.com> writes:
    in part

    > As evidence for rapid deposition, we have bedded marine strata. In
    > marine environments today, bioturbation will commonly destroy
    > bedding
    > planes in the top few inches of the bottom sediment in less than a
    > week.
    > Yet we commonly find thin-bedded, fossiliferous units.

    I respond as a logician with interests in biology. The problem here is
    the assumption that _all_ deposits will be disrupted, the fallacy of
    false generalization. I can immediately think of two kind of deposits
    that will not be. First, there are anoxic areas where marine life, except
    for some bacteria, cannot live. Second, there are benthic areas where
    there is little life, and what there is seems to be on the surface rather
    than burrowing. I expect that those knowledgeable in the area of marine
    sedimentation can provide additional examples.
    Dave