Re: Johnson on Bible Answer Man

From: Jim Armstrong (jarmstro@qwest.net)
Date: Sun Mar 16 2003 - 20:40:50 EST

    OK, but isn't micro/macro still a matter of scale in these descriptions,
    not about degree/kind? I confess this is nitpicking and probably moot
    since there is no real question that the terms have been coopted and
    morphed a bit (not blaming you for that!) for use as in your earlier
    post. It's just a reflection of a problem I have with labels in general
    and the lack of precision of meaning those shorthand symbols seem all to
    often to embody.

    And wasn't the micro/macroevolution discussion in the last couple of
    exchanges about purely physical evolution?

    Regards - Jim Armstrong

    Alexanian, Moorad wrote:

    >The notions of collective effects, quasi-particles, elementary excitations are all microscopic effects that manifest themselves at the macroscopic level but are not thought of as microscopic. However, superfluidity, Bose-Einstein condensation, superconductivity, etc. are microscopic phenomena at the macroscopic level---atoms lose their individual identities and behave as a single quantum entity. The scale in both instances is from the very small to the very large yet they are different in that the microscopic manifestation can be either macroscopic or microscopic.
    >
    >In group theory, there are discrete and continuous groups. Discrete groups are those studied in crystallography and solid-state physics and the elements of the group cannot be obtained by means of infinitesimal changes. However, the continuous groups are such that finite transformation can indeed be made up by infinitesimal transformations. Of course, it seems to me that mutations would always involve finite changes rather than truly continuous changes.
    >
    >Of course, if you compare humans to animals at the purely physical level, then we may be rather similar. However, one may suppose that man is nothing but matter but that certainly goes beyond science by making some rather strong philosophical assumptions.
    >
    >Moorad

    i!