Re: BIBLE/ORIGINS: seeking feedback

From: PASAlist@aol.com
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 14:32:22 EST

    To Jonathan's statement about Jesus and the mustard seed:
    << I see the smallest seed as an example of error introduced by
    >>misinterpretation. The intent of the statement is that a proverbially
    tiny seed grows into one of the biggest familiar garden plants. To claim
    that the statement is
     incorrect requires the initial misinterpretation. >>

    Burgy replied,
    << I understand. I see your position to be one of special pleading of course.
     have no problems with assuming that Jesus held the common knowledge of his
     times. But some folks do have a problem with that. >>

    While I certainly see Jesus as always accommodating his revelation to the
    science of the times, I must agree with Jonathan here. The smallness of the
    mustard seed was proverbial [sinapi, Theological Dictionary of the New
    Testament 7:288-9 and Kommentar zum Neuen Testament aus Talmud und Midrasch
    1:669] like our "clean as a whistle" or "big as a barn," statements we would
    hardly expect to be held accountable for as scientifically accurate. Even if
    the superlative "smallest of all seeds" is pressed, I think it only fair to
    understand the startement in terms of the seeds known to his hearers.

    Paul