RE: An interesting essay for evangelicals

From: John Burgeson (burgythree@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 13:05:31 EST

    Moorad wrote:

    "First, I was not shouting. I just copied the verses from the Internet and
    did not bother to rewrite what I had copied."

    I can guess that you got them from a site you already agreed with. <G>
    Explanation accepted and chastisement recanted..

    "I have given much thought to the issue Christianity/homosexuality. You
    have a gut feeling that it is not a choice to become a homosexual; I have
    the opposite gut feeling."

    No, mine is not a "gut feeling." It is based on what I hope was a thoughtful
    and indepth study of the issues, and the scriptures, over a six year period.
    I started with the gut feeling that homosexual acts, even within a committed
    adult relationship, was a sin in God's eyes and explicitly proscribed by
    scripture. Over a period of time, I had to abandon that position for I could
    no longer defend it. At that point I was "on the fence." Uncomfortable. In
    the summer of 2001 I concluded that "on the fence" was no longer a stance I
    could, with integrity, take. At that time I placed on my web site a position
    statement, explaining both the stance and why I took it.

    I will be happy to respond to questions aout, and challenges to, that
    position statement at any time.

    "Finally, I decided I read a book sometime ago that said that homosexuality
    is a choice but it is rooted in the nurturing
    of a boy before his third birthday."

    Good grief!

    "Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of
    God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers,
    nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor
    the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the
    kingdom of God.” 1 Cor. 6:9-10. This speaks to all of us!"

    Yes, but what does it say? What is the Greek word which is translated above
    as "homosexuals?"

    I think Bob Schneider has commented on this so I'll refrain.

    John W. Burgeson (Burgy)
    www.burgy.50megs.com