Re: I didn't think Adam had the capacity for error until Eve was created...

From: sheila-mcginty@geotec.net
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 17:04:34 EST

    Thank you for the clarification on perfect, good, and very good. Yes, you
    are right, if everything had been perfect, the commandment to be fruitful and
    multiply would have been unnecessary.

    Can we be in error but not sin? I'll have to think about that. Job said he
    kept all the commandments which implies that he did not sin yet God told him
    he was in error and had sinned. I'll keep thinking about that one.

    Sheila

    Quoting George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>:

    > sheila-mcginty@geotec.net wrote:
    > >
    > > "Perfect" may just be semantics. God said Adam and Eve were "good."
    > Without
    > > looking up the original Hebrew, I do not know if that actually means
    > perfect;
    > > however, the Bible does say that they were without sin. Does this
    > mean
    > > perfect?
    >
    > Neither _tobh_ nor _tobh meoth_ mean "perfect". They mean "good" and
    > "very
    > good" but neither concept implies perfection. If everything had been
    > perfect in the
    > beginning there would have been no command to be fruitful & multiply.
    > & to be precise "Adam & Eve" as individuals are not called "good" in
    > the
    > 2d creation story. That language applies to _adham_ as humanity in the
    > 1st creation
    > story.
    > & since not all error is sinful, sinlessness does not imply freedom
    > from error.
    >

    > Shalom,
    > George
    >
    > George L. Murphy
    > gmurphy@raex.com
    > http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/

    Sheila McGinty
    sheila-mcginty@geotec.net

    This mail sent through GeoTEC Webmail: webmail.geotec.net