Re: Global warming -- is it for real?

From: jdac (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 16:47:02 EST

    The irony is that the chapter on global warming is just one chapter on many. The
    critics has focused on this chapter with the obvious belief that if they can discredit
    part they can discredit the whole.

    Interestingly, as one who has actually read the book several times, their criticism has
    still missed the main thrust of the greenhouse chapter. Lomborg does not deny
    greenhouse, but questions what should be done about it. These questions I believe are
    quite valid has be highlights the fact that scientifically the middle greenhouse
    predictions are the most likely but the predictions of the consequences are based on
    the most unlikely upper extreme. Lomborg criticizes some of the proposed economic
    consequences as being naive, deliberately ignoring some comparatively low cost
    amelioration members in favour of more expensive options (shifting entire cities
    because of sea level rises of a metre or less when existing dike systems could be
    raised and extended for a fraction of the cost). He also considers the unpleasant
    issue that some of the more extreme greenhouse reduction measures may cost more than
    doing nothing. Finally Lomborg also points out that while global warming is a reality,
    there is a known component of natural climate change to this, including solar
    variability, and that no manner of human action is going to be able to effect this.
    Greenhouse activists ignore this natural aspect.

    Jon