Re: Does the Bible teach a flat earth?

From: Jan de Koning (jan@dekoning.ca)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 11:20:51 EST

    At 10:08 AM 05/01/2003 +0000, Jim Eisele wrote:

    >Actually, the major point of this list is the relationship between
    >"truth outside the Bible" (science) and the Bible. I relate
    >better to Christians who say "All truth is God's truth."
    >After all, science has forced major reinterpretations of
    >"God's Biblical truth." Some Christians (Spong comes to mind)
    >even claim Biblical moral truth is in need of reinterpretation.
    >
    >Jim

    I agree with both points, but I still say that you can only see truth if
    you accept God as the ruler, and Jesus as your Saviour.
    Your definition of "truth" without God is unacceptable for me, though I say
    too that we may learn from unbelievers.
    Reading the Bible and Truth is a completely different subject. What you
    say about reinterpretatioon of Biblical truth is impossible. We may have
    trouble reading, yes.

    Truth outside the Bible is God's truth as well. Science is studying God's
    truth as well. We, Christians may struggle to understand God's truth, but
    there is no more truth in "science" (even when seen as you see science, a
    view I don't share) as there is in the bible.
    Ethics is another "science" which many people do not only base on the Bible.

    As I have said before, I tried to get you to see my point of view many
    months ago, but I am not willing to go back and forth saying everything all
    over again. Our basic difference is not "How to read the Bible", but how
    to study anything. That is based on a philosophy of life, which is for me
    based very much on the Bible, but not on the way you read the Bible.

    I must end now, visitors coming.

    Jan de Koning