Re: Does the Bible teach a flat earth?

From: Jim Eisele (jeisele@starpower.net)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 14:05:30 EST

    Blake writes

    >>Every writer or thinker is a child of their time
    >> and thus expresses things
    >>in the science and thought of their day. If this
    >>makes the Bible invalid,
    >>then every other writing is invalid too.
    >>
    >> Oh boy, logic flaw. I'll leave it to others to
    >> point out if they
    >> so choose (I'm the atheist/agnostic outsider here
    >> :-)

    >Jim, please enlighten us to the flaw. If a writer of
    >a biblical text thought the earth did not move and the
    >sun moved around the earth, how does that invalidate
    >their writing about God's concern for the poor or the
    >social outcast? You rarely answer my questions, but I
    >would appreciate if you would please answer this
    >question.

    First, I'll say that I'd be absolutely delighted to drop
    this thread. But I know how irritating it is when relevant
    questions get ignored. So I'll at least answer this one.
    I think the others have been discussed very thoroughly in
    this forum.

    Again, I harbor no resentment towards non-YEC Christianity.
    YEC is a cult, and I abhor it.

    Blake, there was no Adam and Eve, no original sin, and thus
    no need for a savior. Christianity seems to have largely
    evolved into a social network, where it is still functioning
    (talking first world, here).

    The fact is that the Bible reads like mythology. I refuse
    to base my life on mythology. I wouldn't base my life on
    Homer's writings.

    In all likelihood, any further replies in this thread will be
    off-list. I do hope that the ASA continues to point out the
    hideous deceit of YEC.

    Jim