Re: de-converting Christians

From: Jim Armstrong (jarmstro@qwest.net)
Date: Wed Jan 01 2003 - 15:15:50 EST

    Rich - You are of course absolutely correct in this observation. I just
    gave a shallow response to a glib assertion. But in truth, I've thought
    a lot about the issue you state. I have a sense that there is something
    much more profound going on than is widely recognized, and I don't think
    it's being addressed because there is no established formula for doing
    so. The new (well, sorta new) megachurches seem to have responded well
    to some needs not well addressed by more conventional
    churches/denominations. But I think there is quite a bit more that is
    yet unaddressed for a couple of reasons. One is that we just are not
    very good at asking hard questions about ourselves and demanding answers
    about what we believe and how we express it. Second, to do so would
    likely mess significantly with tradition, the longstanding and varied
    contexts and expressions of Christianity.

    Well, I suspect I'm preaching to the choir here, based on what I've seen
    you write. So, I'll stop there.
    JimA