Re: The naturalist Philosophy

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 20:35:51 EDT

    Having audited a college-level course in 20th century philosophy of science
    this past spring term, I am hard put to imagine how a course that covers the
    thinking of the logical positivists, the views of philosophers like Popper,
    Quine, Nagel, and Kuhn and the post-Kuhnians, including the social
    constructivists and the feminists, could be made accessible to most
    high-school students. One would have to present a rather simplified version
    of some rather abstract thinking about the nature of science and method.
    Recalling how the undergraduates and myself struggled with comprehending
    some of this material, I would not want to visit it upon anyone who has not
    had some rudimentary philosophical training. I could imagine most students
    coming out thoroughly confused and hostile toward both philosophy and
    science.

         Now, critical thinking is a different matter. American high school
    students get precious little of that, if the students I have taught as
    college freshmen the last ten years are any indication. I should like to
    see critical thinking developed in all high school courses and those
    dastardly standarized tests abolished. Perhaps processes of critical
    thinking could help high-school students understand the fallacies of
    metaphysical naturalism, intelligent design, and YEC, and begin to
    understand what the word "naturalism" in its various forms mean.

    Bob Schneider