Re: "charismatic" theologies and science

From: Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 20:40:48 EDT

    Hi Rich

    Thanks for these insights. There is not enough heard of specifically
    charistmatic and penttecostal responses to science and theology.

    How hostile is the PCA to science? My experience with reformed churches in
    Australia is that some sciences (and applied sciences) are OK, even respected -
    physics, chemistry, mathematics, engineering, and medicine. In my experience
    the hostility of some charismatics towards science stems from several
    sources: a
    God of the gaps theology that expects, even demands, divine intervention as a
    sign of God's presence and action, rather than seeing God at work in
    everything. In particular with respect to miracuolous healing there is the
    common opinion that to seek healing through medicine is a sign of
    lack of faith,
    as is a career in medicine. This near hostility to the most respected of
    applied sciences seems to carry over to other sciences.

    Jon