Re: Question: Relationship to Scientists in Muslim countries

From: Gordon Simons (gsimons@email.unc.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 24 2002 - 16:15:50 EDT

    Figuring into any discussion of this subject has to be the current state
    of science in the Muslim countries. There was a very talented young
    Iranian who spent a year as a visitor in our department about 15 years ago
    who went back to an Iranian university -- and went completely off the
    radar screen. There was very little opportunity within Iran for him to
    develop his scientific talent. My guess is that the state of science in
    most Muslim countries is so low that it invites very little interaction
    with Western scientists. In contrast, during the Cold War, Soviet science
    was flourishing, and the best mathematicians in the world were Russian.
    Not surprising, there were many contacts between Soviet and Western
    scientists. While politics played a role, quality played a much bigger
    role.

    Gordon Simons