Re: robot fly

From: Dale K Stalnaker (Dale.K.Stalnaker@grc.nasa.gov)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 12:40:23 EDT

    Hello,

    The following article was forwarded to me today by a friend. Some of you
    on the ASA list would find this interesting. Scientists have used an
    evolutionary strategy to make a robot learn how to fly by flapping its wings.

    Perhaps another gap just closed in the "God of the Gaps" perspective.

    At 10:11 AM 8/19/2002 -0400, you wrote:
    >Dale,
    >
    >Here's one of the articles I found.
    >
    >http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=search&StoryID=1329646
    >
    >Bob
    >>>
    >Robot Teaches Itself Flying Skills in Three Hours f18434b.jpg
    August 14, 2002 02:01 PM ET

    LONDON (Reuters) - A robot has taught itself the principles of flying --
    learning in just three hours what evolution took millions of years to
    achieve, according to research by Swedish scientists published on Wednesday.