Re: No Free Lunch (NFL) Lecture

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 13:20:49 EDT

    >David, what criteria do your programs use to find a "better"
    network?<

    Criteria include maximizing a probabilistic model (aka
    maximum likelihood), minimizing the number of
    evolutionary changes (aka maximum parsimony), and
    minimizing a distance measure. There are other methods
    that combine network generation and selection into one
    step, but this makes comparing different networks
    problematic. I am mostly using the program PAUP*, which
    stands for Phylogenetic Analysis Using Parsimony *and
    other methods, but there are numerous programs out there
    implementing similar algorithms.

    >Our local group works with viruses, and stresses them.
    Then they let them reproduce for several weeks in a
    chemostat under stress, and they sequence them several
    times a day. So at the end of the experiment, they know
    the detailed sequence history, as well as the beginning
    and end points.<

    >Then our computer guy takes the beginning and final
    sequence, and lets the computer figure the optimum tree to
    get from here to there. But the computer's "best" pathway
    has always been far from the actual path.<

    My analysis are similar except that I would need a time
    machine to get the starting and intermediate sequences,
    so I can only look for similarity between the final
    sequences. However, many of these methods have been
    tested against bacterial and viral studies and found to be
    reasonably reliable. It depends on how well the pattern of
    evolution matches the assumptions of the methods, and
    various independent tests can examine that question in
    many cases. (e.g., extremely high rates of evolution are a
    problem for any method but also will produce nearly
    random sequences).

         Dr. David Campbell
         Old Seashells
         University of Alabama
         Biodiversity & Systematics
         Dept. Biological Sciences
         Box 870345
         Tuscaloosa, AL 35487 USA
         bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com

    That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand
    Exalted Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G.
    Wodehouse, Romance at Droitgate Spa