RE: Infusion of the soul as a process

From: Adrian Teo (ateo@whitworth.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 20:52:08 EDT

    Hello Burgy,

            -----Original Message-----
            From: JW Burgeson [mailto:hoss_radbourne@hotmail.com]
            Sent: Sat 7/27/2002 10:15 AM
            To: Adrian Teo
            Subject: RE: Infusion of the soul as a process

    >>It is more more problematic ethically speaking to deny that
    personhood
    >>begins at
            the point of fusion.

            That's what is called a claim.

            I understand it is your opinion.

            Tell me on what basis you would ground it?

            If you ground it (as you seem to do) on the resulting ethics,
    you have the
            cart before the horse.

            Burgy
            ========

            Adrian: There is nothing wrong with working your ethics from
    consequences, and many people do it. The problem is of course, if
    that is your only criterion, then it becomes extremely easy to
    justify acts that most peopel would consider unethical.

            The problem with the denial of personhood at conception is
    not only because one would then have to find some arbitrary point for
    personhood to emerge (implantation, age of viability, 3rd trimester,
    birth, etc.), but also because the consequences for making an
    erroneous assessment leads to the loss of a human life. Here's why:

            Either the zygote is a person or not. Furthermore, either we
    know what it is, or we don't.

            That leaves four possibilities:

            A. The zygote is not a person and we know that.

            B. The zygote is a person and we know that.

            C. The zygote is a person and we don't know that.

            D. The zygote is not a person and we don't know that.

            Now, if A is true, then the destruction of these early cells
    is permissible. However, no one knows for sure that A is true.

            If B is true, and we destroy the zygote, we have committed murder.

            If C is true, and we destroy the zygote, we have committed
    manslaughter. It is like the hunter shooting at something moving in
    the bushes, and it turns out to be his partner.

            If D is true, and we destroy the zygote, because we don;t
    know for sure that it is not a person, we have committed criminal
    negligence. It is like shooting blindly into the bushes without
    making sure there is no one there.

            Even if we don't know whether A,B,C, or D is true, there is a
    greater likelihood of us committing a condemnable act than not if we
    choose to destroy the zygote.

            But based on reason, we can be quite sure that personhood
    begins at the point when there is the full complement of human
    genetic material set in place and motion. Even if one grants that it
    is a process that may take up to a few hours, by virtue of the fact
    that no one can determine the exactly when the process completes, any
    ratioanl, moral individual would choose to err on the side of
    caution. Furthermore, from divine revelation, we know that personhood
    begins in the womb, and that the killing of innocent lives is
    prohibited. We also know that (at the earliest) in the 6th month of
    Elizabeth's pregnancy, Mary conceived. She then visited her cousin a
    short while later (can't be more than 3 months or the baby would have
    been born). Therefore, Mary was at the most 3 months pregnant, but
    probably earlier. Elizabeth greeted Mary as if she assumed that a
    life had begun in Mary's womb. Therefore, the boundary has to be 3
    months or less.

            Furthermore, Christians have traditionally held that the
    Incarnation took place at the point of Mary's conception. It is also
    the tradition of the vast majority of Christendom to protect life
    from the point of conception (and condemn abortion) because to the
    consequence for error is too severe. Caution is always preferred in
    such cases of uncertainty.

            Then there are also the metaphysical arguments that I will
    not get into for now.

            Blessings,

            Adrian.