Re: The Flood Hoax

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 08:36:19 EDT

       "Sons of X" in Hebrew idiom means "beings of the class X." E.g.,
    the "sons of
    the prophets" in II Kg.2:3, e.g., means "group of prophets." (NRSV translates
    "company of prophets.) So when Amos (7:14) says "I am no prophet nor a
    prophet's son" it means something like "I don't belong to the prophet's guild."
    Similarly God's uusual address to Ezekiel,"son of man," means simply "man" or
    (NRSV) "mortal." (By the time of the gospels of course "Son of Man,"
    taking off
    from the vision in Dan.7, has new meanings.)

         Myths about gods & goddesses having affairs with humans & negetting or
    giving birth to "hybrid" divine-humans abound in many cultures - think of all
    the stories about Zeus & Leda, Europa &c & offspring like Hercules. Gen.6:1-4
    makes use of such a myth but not in undigested form. As we have it
    in Scripture
    it is "broken myth," a pagan myth modified to make a theological point in the
    service of the God of Israel. As used here it denies the popular notion found
    in those pagan myths that divinity is something that can be transmitted by
    biological means. & placed where it is in Genesis it represents the ultimate
    transgression of boundaries & breakdown in the ordering of creation that will
    bring on the flood.

         Later ideas about angels in the NT - e.g., that they "neither marry nor are
    given in marriage" - cannot be read back into the OT. They represent a further
    development.

         There are other examples of "broken myth" in the OT. (The term comes from
    Brevard Childs who discusses the idea & examples in _Myth and Reality
    in the Old
    Testament_.) E.g., Is.14:12-15 is based on a Canaanite myth about the revolt
    of the younger against the elder gods (cf. the Greek war of gods vs. titans),
    but is used here to speak of the doom of historical Babylon. It is most
    unfortunate that this & Gen.6:1-4 have been _re_mythologized by Christians and
    made into an elaborate Christian myth about the fall of Satan &c. But in fact
    the Bible contains at most little hints about any such prehistoric fall of
    angels. What most people think of as the biblical version of this story is in
    fact Milton's account in _Paradise Lost_.

         & any attempt to find some historical niche for Gen.6:1-4 & perhaps some
    historical evidence for the _nephilim_, the descendants of the "sons of the
    gods" and "the daughters on men," seems to me to be a _reductio ad absurdum_ of
    concordism.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy