RE: YEC/Geology

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 09:05:52 EDT

    Hi Bill, I never said I was leaving the list. I put a limit on our 'debate'
    because you and I have gone round and round about this and I don't see a
    reason to get into it again. It gets boring saying the same thing to the
    same person over and over again. You don't see or think of much except coal
    and there is so much more to the issue than just coal. My best anit-global
    flood argument for coal concerns the fact that there is about 45 times more
    carbon in coal than can exist in the entire biosphere. There is about 600
    times more carbon in oil than can exist in the entire biosphere. And there
    is almost 200,000 x more carbon in carbonate (carbon which used to be the
    shells of critters) than exists in the entire worlds biosphere today. If
    oil and coal are from a single biosphere, then living matter was living on
    top of living matter on land, sea and up in the air prior to the flood.
    Here is the data:

    petroleum nonreservoir 200 x 10^18 g carbon
    Petroleum reservoir 1 x 10^18 g carbon
    Coal 15 x 10^18 g carbon
    Carbonate rocks 51,000 x 10^18 g carbon
    living things .3 x 10^18 g carbon
    J.M. Hunt, "Distribution of Carbon in Crust of Earth," Bull. AAPG, Nov.
    1972, p. 2273-2277. p.2274

    Here is a more recent update:
    Carbon in sedimentary rocks in 10^18 g
    All sedimentary rocks Insoluble organic carbon Carbonate
    Shales 8,900 9,300
    Carbonates 1,800 51,100
    Sandstones 1,300 3,900
    Coal beds thicker
    than 4.6 m 15 feet 15

    Nonreservoir rocks soluble organic carbon
      Asphalt 275
      Petroleum 265

    Reservoir rocks
      Heavy oil and asphalt 0.6
      Petroleum 1.1

    Total ~12,600 ~64,000
    John M. Hunt, Petroleum Geochemistry and Geology, (New York: W. H. Freeman
    and Co., 1996), p. 19

    To me, the math doesn't work out. The coal can't be due to a global flood.
    Explain this on a global basis and you might begin to make discussing coal
    interesting. Otherwise, anything you claim as indicative of rapid deposition
    or sharp boundaries on the base of coal, simply doesn't make a dent because
    no one answers where all the dead animals lived prior to the flood.

    personal stories of struggle