Sabbath (Was Re: Comment's on Allens postings)

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Sun Jul 21 2002 - 15:23:57 EDT

             Christian discussions & debates about the Sabbath & Sunday have been
    bedeviled by a number of misconceptions on both sides. A few have been:

             1) That the Sabbath is connected especially with worship.
             2) That there is some identifiable point in history at which
    the church
    decided to change from observance of Saturday to that of Sunday.
             3) That the religious significance of the Sabbath involves looking to
    the past and not the future.
             4) That the practical idea of resting on the Sabbath is of secondary
    religious significance.
             5) That Sunday is a Christian version of the Sabbath.
             6) That Christians aren't really free.

             I'll try to be brief about these.

             1) In the OT the Sabbath is of course to be observed by rest
    but is not
    a special time for corporate worship. Thus the idea that the proper time for
    worship is to be decided with reference to the Sabbath is already debatable.
    This did become a regular time for services in the synagogue, which made sense
    in a culture like that of the Roman Empire in which ordinary people worked 7
    days a week but the Jews were allowed, as a legal religion, to observe the 7th
    day. & of course this is why - as Allen notes below - Paul often went to
    synagogues on the Sabbath: That's when he'd have an audience.

             2) By the time of Justin Martyr in the mid 2d century it seems to have
    been common practice at least in gentile Christian congregations for the weekly
    Eucharist to be held on the 1st day of the week. Later on it seems
    to have been
    assumed that the church made a conscious decision to this effect. But I don't
    know that there is evidence of any great debate about it at the time or any
    explicit decision by any church council to the effect that a change should be
    made. It just was. Perhaps someone more expert on church history can fill in
    here.

             3) The rationale for Sabbath observance in Ex.20:11 looks back to the
    1st creation story of Genesis. But in that story the 7th day in fact looks
    forward to the fulfillment of creation. Orthodox Jews still today celebrate
    "the Bride Shabbat" as a type or foretaste of the time when the Kingdom of God
    will come in its fullness. & that's why so many of Jesus' healings take place
    on the Sabbath: Since the Kingdom of God is breaking into the world
    in him, the
    Sabbath was precisely the right time for these Messianic signs to be performed.
    What the Sabbath in the OT was pointing toward has arrived, at least
    proleptically & - as the Letter to the Hebrews says with the whole
    package of OT
    observances - that means that the type is obsolete.

             4) Sabbath observance as the 3d Commandment (according to the correct
    numbering :)) seems something of an anomaly: It may have been an important
    ceremonial matter but how does it fit with "No other gods before me" & not
    taking God's name in vain? But in fact the idea that people should rest from
    their labors at certain times is a reminder that we can't ensure our lives by
    continual work but must depend on God: Workaholics are idolators. This idea
    remains valid whenever we choose to rest.

             5) The Christian day of worship is a time to hear the gospel and share
    the Lord's Supper. It is not fundamentally "a day of rest" like the Sabbath,
    though many Christians have thought it was & have wanted to establish various
    Sunday closing laws &c. If Christians had understood this clearly & realized
    that they weren't just changing from one day to another then there would have
    been less confusion.

             6) Christians should listen to what Paul says in Galatians instead of
    always trying to tone down the radical message of freedom from the law that he
    proclaims here. For the present topic, Gal.4:10-11 should be noted. Col.2:16
    is also relevant: "Therefore do not let anyone condemn you in matters of food
    or drink or of observing festivals, new moons, OR SABBATHS."
             Christians are free to worship any time they want to. Sunday is fine
    but if there were some reason for a congregation to have its regular worship
    service on Tuesday evening, that would be fine too. & as in 4) above, rest is
    necessary, but Thursday can serve for that as well as Saturday.
             The idea that we are saved by Christ plus something else is
    probably the
    most pervasive Christian heresy. That's what Paul's opponents in Galatia were
    pushing. & any idea that observance of Saturday, or Sunday, or any other day,
    is required by God, & not merely a matter of good order in church &/or state
    feeds into this heresy, whatever fine distinctions one may try to make.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/