Re: YEC/Geology

From: Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Sat Jul 20 2002 - 22:44:31 EDT

    Hi Bill

    It has been a while since we crossed swords.

    Bill Payne wrote:

    > On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:48:20 +1000 Jonathan Clarke
    > <jdac@alphalink.com.au> writes:
    >
    > > The heart of Michael's comment was "Creationists do the cause of the
    > Gospel
    > > incredible damage."
    >
    > According to Scripture it's just the reverse:
    >
    > "Who among you fears the Lord and obeys the word of his servant? Let him
    > who walks in the dark, who has no light, trust in the name of the Lord
    > and rely on his God. But now, all you who light fires and provide
    > yourselves with flaming torches, go, walk in the light of your fires and
    > of the torches you have set ablaze. This is what you shall receive from
    > my hand. You will lie down in torment." (Is 50:10-11)

    Not sure I see the relevance of this passage to the issue in question,
    perhaps I am dense. However I have other Scriptures that I believe are
    relevant. All quotes from the GNB:

    "They tie onto people's backs loads that are heavy and hard to carry, yet the
    aren't willing even to lift a finger to help them carry those loads." (Matt
    23: 4)

    By inflicting on Christians a biblical hermeneutic, an esigesis, and an
    understanding of science that produces enormous cognitive dissonance,
    prevents effective integration of vocation and faith, and sets people up
    crises of faith, the leaders of the YEC movement are like the scribes and the
    Pharisees. When people stumble, they don't even show Christian compassion,
    but label them apostates and heretics.

    "How terrible for you, teachers of the Law and Pharisees! You hypocrites!
    You give to God a tenth even of the seasoning herbs, such as mint, dill, and
    cumin, but you neglect to obey the really important teachings of the, Law
    such as justice, and mercy, and honesty." (Matt 23: 23a).

    The leaders of the YEC movement are very strong on the literal letter of
    creation in six days, yet they ignore, indeed pervert, the Biblical texts
    which show than all scripture is revealed in the world picture of the day.
    Furthermore, in their defence of YEC they will repeatedly pervert, misquote,
    and fabricate data, and are ruthless in their dealings with those who
    disagree with them.

    "Because of you Jews, the Gentiles speak evil of God." (Rom 2:24b).

    Because of the leaders of the YEC movement (and all to many of their
    followers), the name of God and His church is cursed by unbelievers, people
    are turned away who might otherwise hear the gospel. I have seen this happen
    again and again with friends and colleagues and it pains me deeply.

    Many of my best friends are YEC, and they remain friends despite this.
    However, in the end YEC is not good theology or good science, nor, in all too
    many cases, does it lead to good Christian practice in the area of vocation.

    As for the rest, Glenn is well able to look after his end of things.

    Jon

    --
    "It is not easy to see how the more extreme forms of nationalism can long
    survive when men have seen the earth as a pale crescent dwindling against the

    Arthur C. Clarke