Re: Noahic Covenant

From: gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 20 2002 - 16:32:31 EDT

    Marque,

    Welcome to this forum. Based on the example of your contribution so far I
    expect that you will have much of value to contribute.

    I have some additional comments to add to yours about Mt. Ararat.

    The Genesis account of the Flood has been augmented in many popular
    retellings by statements that are not really found in the Bible. For
    example, Genesis does not really say that the ark ran aground on Mount
    Ararat. Mount Ararat has only borne that name for about a thousand years.
    Genesis says that the ark rested on the mountains of Ararat. Ararat was
    the Hebrew name for Urartu, an ancient country just north of Assyria. It
    was called a kingdom in Jeremiah 51:27 and a land in II Kings 19:37 and
    Isaiah 37:38. Thus we are really told only the country in which the ark
    came to rest. I think there are some pretty good clues in Genesis that
    point away from a 17,000 foot volcano as being the resting place of the
    ark. Before the water had receded from the land around the ark, other
    mountains were visible even though Ararat is the highest mountain in the
    region. Where was the olive tree growing? The description of the drying up
    of the ground doesn't sound like what would happen to volcanic rock. I
    have always thought that these expeditions to find the ark were a waste of
    time based in part on misreading Genesis.

    Gordon Brown
    Department of Mathematics
    University of Colorado
    Boulder, CO 80309-0395