Re: Rennie's Rant

From: Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 19:48:20 EDT

    Jay

    The heart of Michael's comment was "Creationists do the cause of the Gospel
    incredible damage."

    I would strongly support this, based on my own experience. You have not
    addressed this.

    You wrote:

    "The problem I have encountered with many scientists is their complete refusal
    to admit that their theories or hypothesis are not facts. They cling to them
    with great faith but seem to be unable to deal with genuine challenges to
    numerous assumptions."

    Since we are talking about YEC, please give specific examples with respect to
    fundamental geological principles, particular in the area of stratigraphy,
    sedimentology, palaeontology.

    You wrote:

    "We believe our modern science is infallible."

    YEC does not challenge is not modern science, i.e. the latest controversial
    hypothesis, but understandings that have mostly been established for centuries
    and repeatedly tested and verified over that period. Basic stratigraphy was
    established by Steno in the mid 17th century, longer than Newton's laws. The
    great age of the earth was recognised by the mid 18th century by people such as
    Lhwyd, somewhat before Linnaeus revolutionised taxonomy. Biostratigraphy was
    established in the early 19th century by Cuvier and others, in the same time
    frame that the foundations of thermodynamics were laid. Organic
    evolution in the
    general sense (descent with modification) was accepted my most people
    (including
    many evangelicals) from the late 19th century, before Maxwell's work on
    electro-magnetism. Radiometric dating was first used in 1913, and is better
    established than the photoelectric effect.

    Which "postulates" of YEC would you have no trouble defending?

    Jon

    --
    "It is not easy to see how the more extreme forms of nationalism can long
    survive when men have seen the earth as a pale crescent dwindling against the

    Arthur C. Clarke