Re: Adam from dust (was RE: Oldest Hominid-new entry from Chad)

From: RDehaan237@aol.com
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 08:11:19 EDT

    In a message dated 7/14/02 9:55:41 AM, glenn.morton@btinternet.com writes:

    << This has always been a bit of a puzzle to me about Dick's God. God says
    that he reaches out to mankind, that he doesn't want anyone to perish. Yet,
    here, in this view, God makes no covenant with any man until 4004 BC when he
    decides that maybe he should make contact with mankind and tell them the
    true theological path. It is kind of like an afterthought-- as if God said,
    "Oh, what are those funny creatures walking on two sticks and yabbering like
    crows? Maybe I should speak with them." Of course it matters not that
    nearly 10 billion people were left without any communication with God--not
    even a communication they could reject. God didn't care enough to
    communicate with them in any fashion--he left them to their own devices.
    What a loving God! >>

    Glenn,

    I would like to add to this conversation, if I may. I'm amazed, Glenn, how
    well you know the mind of God. You even know how he talks :-)

    Seriously, though, no one knows the exact spiritual status of pre-adamic
    human beings; but Gen. 1:27 and Paul, in Romans 1:18-23, give us some hints.
    Being created in the image of God, human beings could know God because God
    made himself known to them through nature. "Ever since the creation of the
    world his eternal power and divine nature, invisible though they are, have
    been understood and seen through the things he has made" (vs. 20, NRSV
    throughout). I take this to apply to earliest human beings. This
    recognition of the divine is evident in the archeological evidence of
    religious practices of early humans that you report to us from time to time.

    Focusing next on Gentiles, Paul goes on to say, "When Gentiles who do not
    possess the law do instinctively what the law requires. these, though not
    having the law, are a law to themselves. They show that what the law
    requires is written on their hearts, to which their own conscience also bears
    witness; and their own conflicting thoughts will accuse or perhaps excuse
    them ...." (Rom. 2:14, 15). What Paul wrote about Gentiles, I think applies
    to pre-adamic humans as well. God's communication to them consisted of his
    law, "written on their hearts" to which their consciences could respond.

    Yet they did not respond "...for though they knew God, they did not honor him
    as God, or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and
    their senseless minds were darkened" Rom. 1:21. This is the long, tragic
    story of humankind, from the first sentient human being to the latest person
    born on earth, aside from being born anew in Christ.

    What is the salvic history of such Pre-adamic people? Paul is not clear on
    this, but it seems from Rom. 2:16 that, "God, through Jesus Christ, will
    judge the secret thoughts of all." It seems to me that human beings were
    given the chance to grow in their knowledge of God for a long time. But
    they turned away from God, as they do today.

    What was the role of the lineage fathered by Adam, specifically, the Jews?
    Paul gives them a special role, "To begin with, the Jews are entrusted with
    the oracles of God" (Rom. 3:2). I think Dick is right in assigning a special
    role to Adam's lineage, developed historically in the Jews. It also becomes
    clear that if was from the Jewish lineage that Christ came into the world
    "...as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in
    heaven and things on earth" (Eph. 1:10).

    I hope this helps.

    Regards,

    Bob