RE: Challenge #2

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 19:56:22 EDT

    >The problem with #4, and I will admit#4 is certainly a live option,
    >is that (1) it says God is too feeble to do any better with the
    >ancients and (2) we are getting, as a race, more mature. I have
    >difficulty with both these points. Particularly (2). <

    Perhaps #4 should be modified a bit:

    4a. God, in His reaching to the ancient Hebrews where they were,
    limited Himself to a progressive revelation of His will rather than
    giving a full and final revelation all at once.

    Objection 1 is thus answered; it is not because He was too feeble but
    because He chose self-limitation. Note especially what Jesus said
    about the divorce regulations.
    On the other hand, objection 1 does apply to the claim that God
    failed to reveal better teaching to them and they made things up or
    misunderstood. If you think God should have done better with the
    ancients, then He should not have let them think their mistakes were
    really His word.

    Objection 2 is also answered, in that it is the possession of more
    revelation, rather than inherent progres in humanity, that makes us
    potentially more mature.

         Dr. David Campbell
         Old Seashells
         University of Alabama
         Biodiversity & Systematics
         Dept. Biological Sciences
         Box 870345
         Tuscaloosa, AL 35487 USA
         bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com

    That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand Exalted
    Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G. Wodehouse, Romance at
    Droitgate Spa