Re: ID: A tent for all theists? Was :RE: Moon proclaims he is

From: Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 18:22:45 EDT

    Hi Shaun

    The problem for me with siding with ID crowd is three-fold. Firstly, the
    arguments of Johnson are primarily metaphysical and are built on what
    is to me a
    very poor understanding of God's action in the world. Therefore if I
    support ID,
    I also Johnson's poor (in fact downright heretical) theology. Because ID is a
    big tent, this means I am also supporting metaphysics (theology is not a broad
    enough word) with which I strongly disagree, such as deists, moonies, and
    raelians. I agree with Johnson that the extreme materialism of
    Provine, Dawkins
    et al. must be opposed, however because their materialism is metaphysical in
    nature it must be opposed by good metaphysics, not something so vague
    and shonky
    as to be acceptable to deists, moonies, raelians - and Christians. I mistrust a
    metaphysical tent so large as to include those mentioned above - but
    so narrow as
    to exclude evangelical, reformed, and generally Christians who happen
    to support
    organic evolution.

    Secondly, the palaeontological, ecological, and biogeographical evidence for
    descent with modification is for me so overwhelming that to oppose it
    is to place
    oneself firmly into the flat earth and geocentric camp. This does
    not mean that
    some, indeed many aspects of current organic evolutionary theories are above
    critcism, they are most certainly not. But the ID crowd almost
    completely ignore
    or misrepresent it this evidence. They have proved incapable of correction on
    these failings.

    Thirdly I utterly disagree with the metaphysics of Dawkins et al.
    However their
    science is usually OK. It is therefore more honest for me to say I agree with
    the science, but I disagree with the metaphysical conclusions they
    draw from it,
    or rather the metaphysical agenda to which they subject their science.

    Fourthly, the refusal of most ID to come clean about the age of the earth and
    universe to me is suspicious. It smacks of a strategic ploy to gain
    support from
    the YEC movement. Although Johnson once distanced himself from YEC and Behe
    stated he believed in an old earth, this has been down played. Of
    course if they
    did they might loose the support of YECs, who have used ID arguments with great
    enthusiasm. Of course it raises the suspicion amongst many
    scientists that ID is
    only a front for YEC. Not only to I find this dishonest, it also
    shows the lack
    of scientific credibility of the ID movement.

    Jon

    --
    "It is not easy to see how the more extreme forms of nationalism can
    long survive

    Arthur C. Clarke